Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Avatar Creations!

Making my avatar was a very different experience. I had never done it before and I never imagined there were so many different designs that you could use to create one. A lot of avatars that I saw online were very fake looking. They appeared to make the creator look either like they wanted the world to think they were hilarious, or very attractive. The ones I saw first online were very cartoon-like. These usually had ridiculous hairstyles or abnormally colored skin, and these were the avatars that I found make me think the creator wanted to look like a funny person with a crazy side to there personality. There were other avatars that were more realistic, which is like the avatar I made. I wanted my avatar to look like me if I was living in the internet, so I tried to give it the same color and style of hair that I have, same eye color, and same sort of style with the clothes that I would wear. However, so people might prefer for their avatar to make them look better, or they try to live vicariously through their online-self by giving their avatar all of the features that they dislike about themselves. This reminded me of what Bell said when talking how we tend to use identifications rather than identity. To me, identity is something that that you find in yourself, and and identification is when you group yourself to a group of some sort. When making the avatars, there seemed to be groups of people identifying themselves in different ways. To me, these groups consisted of the funny group with the crazy avatars with funny hats and hairstyles, and the attractive avatars who all seemed to be either light blond or very dark brunette with revealing clothes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment